Friday, January 16, 2009

An Age Old Issue

It's one of the first things you are asked when you bring home a newborn.
It's always followed with some great warning from the sages and many an opinion.
It's a topic that spurs as much debate as does religion or politics, especially in 'mommy circles.'
It's one of the most consistent issues dealt with on Super Nanny.
What is it??? ... ... SLEEP!

Well, I thought I would weigh in a bit to share my experiences; why not.

From day ONE, Hayden has been a mommy's buddy in the sleeping arena. Being a first-time mom and a nursing one at that, it just seemed to be the best way/only way to get at least 20 minute intervals of sleep. Hayden nursed CONSTANTLY and when placed in his crib, he wouldn't settle down. We tried the cry it out technique with him on SEVERAL occasions and no matter how long we would hold out, the outcome never turned out to be a sleeping baby. Instead he would be more woke-up than ever before and absolutely ticked off. So from day one until this past week, it's been Hayden and Mommy and then Hayden, Daddy and Mommy all snuggled up in the bed together. Well, last week I buckled down and with stern delivery, his ability to understand and communicate more and my dedication to really make this attempt the last...Mr. Hayden has been in his bed at night and one night he even slept through the night without waking once!! ~ Of course, that was ONE night, but I know he can do it and with continued commitment on my side, this too shall pass and I know on many levels, I will miss it!

My second baby sleeping experience: well, with Mr. Hayden still snuggled up with me (no room for her in the bed, safely) and my determination to start this little one out differently, Little Miss Adelyn started out day one in bassinet and has been in her crib since she was 6 weeks old! She self-soothes with her little thumb and will even cry to be put down to sleep; thankfully she will sleep anywhere when she is ready to go down and she is very routine.

With MUCH prayer, we are on the right track and will regain a nice amount of sleep, in the near future. If I haven't just jinxed myself by posting so. *grin*

***
Thanksgiving for the ability to recognize that this too is a season that will come and go; may I remember to take in it's blessings, even when completely sleep deprived and half-insane.

No comments: