Thursday, January 1, 2009

Recipes to Carry into 2009

Preface: If a recipe has more than 5 steps or takes more than a few ingredients not regularly found in my cabinet, I'm not likely to attempt it. On the same accord, if one passes the mentioned criteria, I'll still, likely, take the method mentioned and adapt the ingredients to create a simplified version of even the most simple recipe; ie: if a dish calls for fresh garlic, I'll use my trusty dried garlic powder instead, even though I realize fresh would make the dish more tasty, I repeat my desire to keep things as simple as possible.

As 2008 came to a close, I happened upon a recipe for chicken, chili and cheese enchiladas that I'm happy to jot down in my book to recreate in the new year. You may wish to do the same.
NOTE: Said recipe passed the "would you recommend it?" seal of approval from David!

Ingredients and method according to my adapted version:

  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1/2 fresh onion - finely chopped
  • garlic powder - several shakes of the shaker (minced fresh if you prefer and to your desire)
  • sliced jalapenos from a jar - a handful chopped
  • 1 rotisserie chicken (from your local deli - already cooked) - pull and shred all the meat you can muster from it
  • 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese (again, already done for you in the bagged cheese section)
  • 1 16oz jar salsa verde
  • 1 4oz can diced mild green chilies, drained
  • 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
  • package of whole wheat tortillas
  • cilantro (I used a few shakes from my dry version kept on hand in my spice/herb reservoir; you can use fresh finely chopped)

Method:

  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees. mist a 9 by 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Warm oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened but not browned, 5 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeno and cook (saute together) 2 minutes longer, stirring often. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
  • In a large bowl, combine onion mixture, chicken, 1 cup cheese, 1/2 cup salsa and mild green chilies. Stir until well combined.
  • Pour broth into skillet and heat until almost simmering. Working one at a time, dip tortilla into broth, taking care to work quickly so tortilla doesn't become too soft, then transfer to a clean workspace. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of chicken mixture down center of tortilla. Roll tortilla around filling like a cigar, and transfer, seam side down, to prepared dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling. pour remaining salsa over top of enchiladas, spreading to coat. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top.
  • Bake enchiladas, uncovered, until cheese is melted and enchiladas are hot throughout, about 20 minutes. Just before serving, sprinkle with cilantro.
  • ***NOTE: place tortilla chips in a dish and top with extra filling (if you have any) and sprinkle with cheese; bake along side the enchiladas - creates delicious nachos!
  • ***Suggested sides: refried beans, tomatoes, sour cream

This dish is FULL of flavor and just as tasty as any I've eaten at an authentic Mexican restaurant!

~

I also want to share with you a super simple and extra yummy punch method: 1 gallon of sherbet (you pick the flavor ~ I used raspberry and realized it would be PERFECT topped with strawberries for a little girl baby shower!) placed in punch bowl, 6 scoops of vanilla ice cream dolloped around sherbet, 1 2-liter of sparkling soda (7-up or the like) ~ add more as needed.

This mixture melts together to form a very creamy taste and creates a beautiful centerpiece!

***

Many blessings are created from a simple method when the heart gets involved in the kitchen!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Cannot wait to try, sounds good. That one is definately going on the next grocery list. Thanks for encouraging me with my own blog. I am going to give it a whirl. Love ya, Melissa